BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
B-P Golden Oldies: "Authentic Replicants Converge"
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2006 12:34:40 -0100
Friends,

I am sorry that I have not been communicative with everyone lately. It
is not from lack of desire. I know some have been calling me concerned
that they have not got calls back, others waiting I assume patiently but
I know want to hear from me. To be honest business has been more than I
can handle. It has been this way getting worse since last year. I had
wanted a break over the winter to catch our breath and it never
happened. It is good, just too damned much of it. I have tried to make
it more difficult for people to get hold of me and unless potential
customers know my cell number or send an e-mail to the business address
I’m likely not going to respond in very hurried fashion. Regardless not
a day goes past without someone calling me asking if I am interested in
working on or bidding on their project (last week it was a short list on
a $400,000 project on a fort -- or I'm called on Tuesday and told I can
put a bid in on the Roosevelt house by Friday -- I said on that one that
they should have fun) – and all these folks had to figure out how to
find me in the first place. I can’t get one request done without getting
three or four more to work on. By the time they find me I guess they are
sort of weeded out. Sort of. We started the business with one principle
in mind, to only work with people that we like… I’m thinking of adding
to it to only look to build relationships on projects that we want the
relationships to last 20 years. Nothing works out like we plan but I
figure if you start out with everyone talking having to deal with each
other and all our oddities for 20 years it sure makes the relationship
not only stronger but more honest and trusting. When I look at my
various current business partners for the most part I can say that I
have had a 20+ year relationship with the ones I’ve kept. I’m a bit
embarrassed to say all this. Kathy says I should say NO more often… I’ve
been doing it a lot, hard to get used to how nice it works sometimes to
increase the demand and make even moire sticks to cram into dark spaces,
but possibly I’m not saying it enough so I keep raising our prices --
except for friends and those interesting folks that pay us before we do
the work. I sure don’t want to see the dollar fold but the cost of gas
don’t bother me much right now. It looks like a big wave to ride and I
hope we don’t get drowned by it.

The attached photos are of one of the oldest houses in our area of the
south shore - The Petty House. We are real near the Atlantic halfway
between Brooklyn & Montauk. David and I a few years back on a hot July
4^th weekend did what ended up for our own entertainment a survey of all
of the sticks and their condition. There were a lot more of them than is
shown here that could have been easily salvaged. We had put in a bid to
restore the timber frame… but never heard zip back from anyone. The
shopping mall right behind the building wanted to expand and the
town/citizens, particularly the ones against the expansion looking for a
political weapon (a sacrificial goat), came to the defense of the
‘historic’ structure. It was a farce from the beginning. So the
developer agreed to put $300,000 into ‘restoring’ the structure. The
architect they hired was a know-nothing… wanted to put a quaint cupola
on top w/ a whale weather-vane though it had never had one sort of stuff
– I know, I saw the damned drawings. (Our whaling claim to fame here is
that the Poosepatuck Indians -- they have a reservation nearby - lost
all of their men who froze in the rigging one winter offshore... our
other claim to fame is Flight 800 landed just a ways south of us.) They
were going to dismantle the structure, rebuild the foundation then
reconnect the pieces. The SHPO caught wind of that and said they could
not dismantle. What should have been done was move the damned thing but
common sense don’t work here any better than elsewhere. I swear that I
have daydreamed about torching it (get Mr. Gray to come out to the DII
[Damned Idiot’s Island] for a pyro Barbie). So it went to court and was
stuck in litigation for like 2 years. It held up the developer getting
his certificate of occupancy on his additions which held up our
wonderful bank from getting the branch office that we use - we liked
visiting them in their trailer. And the chain store next door sells
pretty decent work boots cheap. In the mean time the local newspaper
wrote an article w/ the smiling faces of the only truly heritage
conservation folks in the area standing out front of the fence as if
they endorsed the restoration… David and I withstood one of them for
about 2 hours in the blazing sun while he downloaded his pent up anger.
His pet project is an inn where either Jefferson or Hamilton or
Washington or all of the above downed a few ales and likely pissed in
the little white house. So David and I decided that though we have uber
histo presto experience we had better leave it alone in our own front
yard sort of thing. Nobody within 30 miles of us has a clue who we are
or what we do (actually that is not quite correct... a few people in the
local NPS know us). We either work in NYC or the east end North or South
Forks and sometimes the exotic clime of Northern NJ and we go on lots of
entertainment junkets to CT. Anyways… they stripped off all the shingle
siding and roofing then jacked up the frame and put in a new concrete
footer and new brick foundation… and I mean NEW. Don’t talk to me about
mortar analysis or authenticity of materials. They set the frame back
down… and what you can’t see is they probably threw out all of the
timber sills and replaced them w/ PT. Slapped the plywood on and did the
very historic framing that you can see. I don’t know if the SHPO is
watching – don’t even know if God has not decided to forget. What gets
me is that as far as the local pols are concerned, and the citizens in
general, this will likely in future be billed as a restoration and
everyone will be proud to point out the ‘old house’. That is if they
happen to see it when they drive past. I won’t laugh or burp if it goes
vinyl. The actually significant old house we have down the street, the
William Floyd estate nobody knows how to find because they can’t drive
past it in their car – have to get out in the parking lot – that they
can’t find the parking lot because it is the only destination in the
area unless you are going crabbing, necking or gonna be eventide skeeter
bait -- and walk to it. WF (there was no M then between the W & the F)
was a signer of the Declaration and his family used to own everything
now surrounding us in Spastic Beach. One major problem though is that
there is like zero parking at the site of this particular little house
and it is too close to the road (and there are master plans calling for
widening the roadway – the old Montauk Highway – at one time it was the
major thoroughfare to Montauk from NYC) and likely not much in the way
as a use for the building once they do get it glued (lots and lots of
Elmer's) and nailed back together again. The location is lousy. What
they say about retail: Location Location Location! It will be an empty
shell owned by the mall developer. It could end up one of those places
where you pawn gold jewelry or buy a cell phone or beeper. Last use it
had before it was abandoned about ten years ago was a lawyer’s office. I
am afraid to ask my friend the lady around the corner what they should
sell there as the last time I asked her a blue-sky business question
like that she suggested little boys.

Postscript: I went to our bank and saw that somebody had put their
signboard up on the plywood so with nothin but a pure heart and abundant
curiosity I went to take a look. Fellow out in Westhampton Beach billed
as a Preservation Consultant w/ a phone number. Nobody I'd & ever heard
of before. So when I got back to the office I called him. Well, first I
checked our suvey photos just to make sure I was not dreaming that a
whole lot of the frame that was salvageable is now missing. I feel
validated. Introduced myself as a local contractor w/ histo presto
experience. Said we were almost neighbors and should know about each
other. He said he was moving his office into an historic building so
that is why he has no e-mail address. Hmmm? Anywho... also said he does
a lot of work in NYC. Hmmm.... and I never heard of him? He never heard
of me. So he suggested I MAIL him our information and he wld take a look
at it. I did not say anything about my questions re: Petty House but I'm
curious if he has any idea what he put his sign up on? I mean, did they
hire him on after they threw away all the heritage fabric? There is no
other sign on the building, not even one from the developer who is
writing the check. Ha! This will be a new adventure.

][<en