From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:44:08 -0700
I would imagine that the helically wound antenna would be much like a
quarter wave yes, something around a 25 degree angle of radiation.
Not terribly great for dx on 20, but not bad for north america wide or even
the closer in ground wave stuff.
Perhaps a better persuit would be to try for a 40M antenna helically wound.
Of course one would have to use a bigger sized pvc pipe to get better
results and band width.
I wonder if loaded radials would be a compremise or not?
For effective radials on a 40M vertically, one would have to have at least
four 30 foot long wires...if one wound a coil of about 20 feet and then had
a 10 foot peace of straight wire going out from the base of the vertical
peace, i wonder if this would work as well as a straight run of 30 feet.
I suppose the whole point of a counter poise is to try and make something
that the wave can reflect off of, and that would have to be a quarter wave
long, not partially coils...the effective length has to be divisables or
multiples of that radiated wave length i would think.
73
Colin, V A6BKX