Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 22:24:58 -0700
7bit
From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
I hope part of the flash process was to create a backup of the BIOS with
a method to reinstall it. Locking up a BIOS flash can't be good, but it
could have stopped before any damage was done. At worse you may need a
new BIOS chip or a new compatible motherboard might be cheaper.

The continuous light on the floppy probably is an indication that the
communication to and/or from the drive is not proper. Check the cable
connections and orientation to the #1 pin.

You have now done so many changes/swaps/etc. on the computer, it might
be best to go back to the bare essentials as if you were building the
computer from scratch and test as you go. There are informative sites on
the web on building computers that you might want to research. Start
with only the motherboard, CPU/heat sink/fan (firmly attached), known
good RAM (reseat the RAM securely), known good video card (reseat the
card securely), keyboard and monitor. See if the computer will complete
the POST. Set the BIOS to "safe defaults". Attach the mouse and the
floppy drive and see if you can get your Windows 98 boot disk to work.
Attach the CD drive and the hard drive and check if the BIOS properly
identifies them. Add in other cards (modem, LAN, etc.) and see if
everything works together. See if you can load XP in safe mode without
having to again reinstall it. See if you can load XP in normal mode.

If you run into a problem along the way, you will have a better idea of
the cause.

Overheating could be a problem, but with all the work you have done, I
assume you cleaned away any excess dust and that you would have noticed
any fans that were not working. Also, the computer was working before
you changed its location.

Hope you are still having fun with this gift computer.

Tom Mayer

Russ Cox wrote:
> Thanks for the excellent analysis.  The machine locked up again, now
> in a stock configuration with an LCD display. It hung with the floppy
> read light steady on but not reading the floppy.
> I had flashed the BIOS earlier, but thought I'd do it again. Wrong! It
> locked up during the flash process so now it won't do anything.  HDD
> read light comes on for awhile, but won't read the floppy or CD.Looks
> to me like it really is toast. But still don't know where the "locked"
> problem comes from.
> In answer to your suggestions:
> Didn't get to turn off IR in BIOS because of above.  Don't think
> there's an IR receiver on it anyway. The location where it first
> started failing is only a few feet from the workbench. Yes there is a
> wireless router nearby.
> Didn't have the wireless mouse connected during this last activity.
> Did have an LCD monitor connected when it last failed.
> Did replace the battery before flashing (and trashing) the BIOS.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>