C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2006 18:25:03 -0400
7bit
From:
Elizabeth Thiers <[log in to unmask]>
 I'm not going to get in the debate about whether it's all about the money
in saving premies.  I get paid to work with many children who were premies.

What I will say is that statistics aren't collected the same across
countries.  A live birth does not the have the same definition across
countries. This also doesn't tell me how many women get pregant and are able
to manage a pregancy to term.
Also, countries such as Cuba and Costa Rica put most of their medical monies
into prenatal and postnatal care but, then don't have money for basic
medicines such as insulin for diabetics.
I would also want to know if the European countries count non-citizens in
their health statistics.
While I concure, medicine needs to fixing in quite a few areas, the African
American baby birth weight issues are across all class lines.

Beth t the OT