Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:02:23 -0600

My questions were:
Is celiac or lupus more common?  Can anyone on here give me =
numbers for lupus, such as 1 in ??? Are there any people on this list who have lupus? Are there any here who had lupus symptoms, only to have them subside on a strict gluten-free diet? What are the ten diseases diagnosed before the diagnosis of celiac?

I received 18 responses from people saying they had lupus symptoms/ mis-diagnosis before celiac dx and gf diet. I include some verbatim responses below:
Celiac Disease affects approximately 2.2 Million Americans, and Lupus affects approximately 1.5 Million Americans according to  The University of Chicago Celiac Disease Program (2003)

I was diagnosed AND treated with SLE for 5 years  - I said this is NOT
what I have - I did feel decidedly better while taking prednisone
though!  It took another 4 years to receive a celiac diagnosis and only then because I was having black outs and was admitted to the hospital - a hem/onc diagnosed me and voila!
I had Lupus symptoms (with a positive ANA) that subsided on a gluten free diet.  I have been gluten free for about 10 years.  My daughter has Celiac disease (diagnosed at 15 months and is now 17 years).  When the Celiac blood test became available I did test positive, as did my mother.

I have been diagnosed with celiac disease for 2.5 yrs., but I was diagnosed with Lupus in 1973 & scleroderma after that. (Maybe if the celiac disease had been diagnosed 50 some yrs. sooner, I wouldn't be in advanced stages of lupus & scleroderma.)

*******
*******