Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 2006 03:35:39 +0000

Erythrocyte Mineral Analysis:  Mineral Analysis done 18 months after the first one was lower.  ? of why since I am feeling much better and only persistant symptom now is tiredness but not extreme like it was 18 months ago. Still have to watch everthing I eat so my fat intake is low as absorption tests in October still shows some malabsorption but is much better than even 6 months ago.

I have received quite a few responses and I also emailed my doc and heard from him today.
1.  Two people suggested trying the specific carbohydrate diet outlined in the book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall. Certain carbs (all grains and simple sugars) and lactose can still cause troubles until they are removed and eating certain specific carbohydrates heals the gut.  Another friend also suggested this.
(Robin- I have the book and have followed this for a while but have added back some corn, sweet potatoes, brown rice, and occasional white potatoes.  There are lots of things on this diet that I can't eat due to allergies).
2.  Another food intolerance.
(Robin- I have eliminated other foods that I have an immune allergy to other than gluten-dairy due to casein allergy, soy, yeast, sugar, tomatoes, and no citrus and quite low fat as I have trouble with fat)
3.  May have been an imbalance before and now coming up again.
(Robin-I had also thought that my levels may have gone down further since the test 18 months ago and are now coming up again even though they are really lower than last time).
4.  Certain combinations of foods and minerals work better if not eaten together- one may block or bind to another and then not be absorbed.
(Robin-I will ask my nutritionist about this).

My docs reply- ( I really didn't expect to hear from the doc until the beginning of the week, but he emailed me today at lunch time, on Saturday!)
He says, One of the confusing things is that this test doesn't just measure how much magnesium and other minerals are present-- It measures where they are.  Magnesium and other minerals are supposed to be at high levels inside the cells and low intracellular levels may mean more about the integrity of the channels that keep it in, than about your total intake or even absorption.  "Fixing your channels" is a big challenge and I think the Dr. I am refering you to knows more about it than I do.  Please make an appt with both The Dr. (who specializes in nutrition) and the nutritionist in the mean time.

So thank you for the responses and if anyone else has ideas I would be glad to hear them and post them.
Very Sincerely,
Robin in Massachusetts