From:
Sharon McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sharon McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:42:21 -0700

Here is the summary of responses I got for Long Beach, Ca restaurants.  Thank you all very much!

Sharon

Here are some GF meal options located in Long Beach, CA:

  HOFF'S HUT on Bellflower Blvd & Sterns
  (Steak & rice w/ steamed veggies)

  TINY THAI on Norse Way off Carson Blvd.
  (variety of dishes, I order my dishes with Brown Rice or a side of Potatatoes and w/o sugar)

  DALE'S DINNER on corner of Norse Way & Carson Blvd.
  (I order scrambled or poached eggs,  hashbrowns, and a beef patty w/ avacado, salsa, and a bananna on the side)

  PAUL'S PLACE on 2nd Street, off of Pacific Coast Highway on Left Hand Side.
  . . .LOTS of RESTAURANTS on 2nd Street!
  (I order a hamberger lettuce wrap,
  sometimes a salad w/ extra hard-boiled eggs w/ lemons for dressing)

  These are just a few restaurants that I know are SAFE for me to eat at.
   Here are other ideas for meals/groceries in Long Beach, CA
  and neighboring "close-by" cities:

  KOREAN BBQ off of Carson & Norwalk in Hawaiian  Gardens, CA
  (I bring Brag's: Liquid Aminos & Italian Seasoning. . .then order Thinly Sliced Beef Brisket w/o marrinade & an order of sliced lemons.  I take Seasonings, Lemons, and Brag's: Liquid Aminos and make my "own" maranade.  Then cook at your table", ready-to-eat, nice and hot! . . .I don't trust the side dishes, though.   Just the meat! )

  STEAK O'RAMA! on 2nd Street in Long Beach, CA
  (Makes great steaks and REALLY GOOD Gluten-Free New England Clam Chowder)

  BENLEY'S: Vietnamese Restaurante
   on Ball Rd. & Los Alamitos Blvd. in Los Alamitos, CA
  (variety of foods, only serve RICE, VEGETABLES, & POTATOES; NO WHEAT, NO RYE, NO OATS, or grain-containing derivatives!  My only special request here, is that I ask for a sauce w/o sugar.  Very nice family restaurante. Very good with special requests.)

  WILD OATS; healthy grocery store & deli
  off S. Pacific Coast Hwy on RHS, after 2nd St.
  (variety of selection; Deli, Salad Bar, and Fresh Juice Bar closes @ 9pm; very friendly staff and many GF products found within this fabulous grocery store.  I drive 1 hour round-trip, twice a month, it's such a great store!!!)
  Brag's: Liquid Aminos
  Brown-Rice Pastas
  Goat Yogurt/Cheese
  French Meddow:Wheat-Free Gluten-Free Sweetener-Free Bread
  Italian Seasoning

  O'MALLEY'S: Irish Pub & Restaurant
  off S. Pacific Coast Hwy, after 2nd St., on Main St. in Seal Beach, CA
  . . .LOTS of RESTAURANTS on Main Street!
  ( I order for BREAKFAST: "The Vegi-Scrambler" w/ extra potatoes or a side of Brown Rice instead of toast and red & green salsa.  I order for LUNCH/DINNER: "The Thin Man", a chicken dish w/ brown rice.  Very friendly service and afterwards I can go for a walk on the Seal Beach Pier and work some of that food off.)

  POLLY'S BAKERY;  Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner; American food
  off Atlantic & 35th St., south of Carson in Long Beach, CA
  ( I order hard-boiled or poached eggs or hamburger lettuce wrap with fruit.  Not my first choice, but it works!)

  TRADER JOE'S; healthy grocery store  @   1-800-SHOP-TJS
  off Carson, going N. on Atlantic on LHS.
  off Bellflower, going E. on Sterns on LHS.
  off S. Pacific Coast Hwy, after 2nd St. on LHS
  ( Not much to offer GF, but they do have:
  great "Trader Joe's Mayonaise" . . .no SUGARS, uses Apple Cider Vinegar!
  good "organic" produce, too.

  OK BURGER: Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner; Variety of food options @ (562) 597-6014
    off Lakewood Blvd, going south, by the Traffic Circle, on the LHS.
  ( For BREAKFAST, I order, vegatable omlets, or BRING my VITAMIN CITY bought GF "Brown Rice Tortillas" and have them make me a breakfast burrito in a couple of my own GF tortillas.  For LUNCH/DINNER: these guys make the BEST hamberger lettuce wraps around!!!  I order a mushroom burger lettuce wrap w/ avacado and french fries... the BEST!)

  VITAMIN CITY: healthy grocery store, vitamins, & produce
  off Spring St., on LHS, at Palo Verde in Long Beach, CA
  (Good people and a friendly  environment!)
  GF "Brown Rice Tortillas"
  Brag's: Liquid Aminos
  Italian Seasoning
  good "organic" produce
  French Meddow:Wheat-Free Gluten-Free Sweetener-Free Bread

Outback.

Check the list on goodhealthpublishing.com for a list of restaurants.

Hi -- If you go to Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park (outside of Long
Beach), there is a restaurant called Ghostville(town?), Chef Bobby was very
helpful, prepared our lunch in a separate kitchen, just the way we wanted it. Call ahead.
ahead if possible.
You asked for any GF places to eat during your trip.  My wife has a GF Bakery here in Madison, WI and sells, in addition to her GF products, the 2006-2007 GF Restaurant Guide.  I looked up your request & found:

1. Claim Jumper, 6501 E. Pacific Coast Hwy.
2. Mimi's Cafe', 6670 E. Pacific Coast Hwy.
3. Outback, 20 W. Shoreline Dr.
4. P.F. Chang's, 340 S. Pine Ave
5. Vintage Tea Leaf, 969 E. Broadway

Which ever you pick, I'd check with the waiter/chef to make sure they are still in a "GF Frame of Mind."

By the way, my wife's bakery ships all over the U.S. If you would like to visit her website:    www.sillyyakbakery.com    (click the GLUTEN FREE Products)

I highly recommend the GF Majestic Valley Coffeecake, the GF Garlic Cheddar bread and especially the GF Cinnamon Swirl.  Ask for a recipe utilizing the GF Swirl that makes double-decker GF French Toast with a layer of bananas in-between.  It's out of this world; in the neighborhood of Mars or Venus.

Many folks taking trips order product just ahead of time and take it with -or- if they're going to be at their destination awhile, they have GF product shipped directly there so it's on-hand.