From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 15:19:32 -0800

>CELIAC DISEASE: A Hidden Epidemic ... is the first and only authoritative
>guide to this serious autoimmune disease. . . . prompting The Wall Street
>Journal to recently note that "the story of celiac disease shows how blind
>spots can develop in the U.S. medical system"

The first line of this quote from Michael's post typifies exactly why & how
there are so many "blind spots" in the U.S. medical system.  There are too
many sheep out there waiting for an "authourity" shepherd to tell them what
to do.  We have become a nation dependent on so called "authorities".

Had my son & I depended upon "authorities" to solve our health problems for
us, my son would be diagnosed schizophrenic taking heavy duty anti-psychotic
medications and I would either be dead  or bedridden wasting away from some
mysterious disease.  Why?  Because neither of us were able to secure an
official "authoritative" diagnosis of celiac disease.  Our blood tests &
biopsies were both negative.  But we both now live normal happy lives
because we didn't wait for an authority to tell to began the GF diet.
Instead, we used common sense & initiative to follow our intuitions.

So what's the cause of the blind spot in the US medical system?  IMHO, It's
a plain lack of common sense, intuition & initiative in both the public &
medical professionals.

Valerie in Tacoma