From:
Bonnie Silvester <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bonnie Silvester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:27:59 -0700

Hi, I have never posted yet, just reading posts.

My daughter is 7, has celiac and Type 1 diabetes.  She was diagnosed with
celiac February 2004 and diabetes February 2002.  She had a bone density
test in March 2004 and again in July 2005.  Both tests showed her in the
"Osteoporosis" category and rated her at a high risk of bone breakage.  To
date, she has not had a broken bone.  There was no improvement from last
year to this year.

Both her endocrinologist and gastroenterologist have been unable to give me
answers to my questions  For example, which type of calcium to use (with
proof that it is the best absorbed), how long this will last, when will the
bone density get better, what really is a normal bone density for a 7 year
old.

Do any of you have experience with this?  I am currently giving her 1200 mg
of calcium with Vit A & D in divided doses daily.  Her last lab work came
back with everything < 3 (ttg's etc) so she truly is gluten free, intestines
healed and she has gained 15 lbs. since diagnosis last February.  She is
thriving and her blood sugar numbers have never been better.

Any help would be most appreciated.  I will summarize.

Bonnie - Head Chef

Mom to Rachel 7, type 1 diabetes at age 3, celiac at age 6

Husband to Phil, celiac

Mom to David - only has anaphylaxis reaction to nuts