C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jonathan Rand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:07:57 -0500
My feet r very tender, I think because of abnormal stresses put on them.  It
used 2 be much worse.  When symptoms of chemical sensitivity first started
creaping up on me, I didn’t no what was happening.  My movements became more
normal at first.  Then I became very sleepy all the time.  Sometimes my
movements became A LOT worse!  Neck spasms were choaking off blood 2 my
brain, (or something like that).  Anyway, my feet were getting soar from
walking “wrong” I guess.  4 a few years, I wore extra large shoes, & I wore
them on the wrong foot, (left on right, etc.), to stop my feet from rubbing
on the shoes.  Getting my toenails cut was like open heart surgery!

But after I learned how 2 control the chemical sensitivity, my mobility
problems seemed 2 “stabolize,” & walking became much easier.  I still don’t
/ can’t walk without shoes because my toes curl up under my feet, & they wud
drag along the ground, (and that HURTS), but since my doctors weren’t really
helping, I felt I was forced 2 try stuff on my own, & maybe I was somewhat
successful.

I still hate getting my toenails cut but it’s a thousand times easier now…

I don’t know if other people can do this…  Maybe I’m weird.  But at 1 point
I found that I was able 2 relax my feet wile walking, if I tensed up
“something else.”  Like my legs, (or another part of my body).  Then my toes
didn’t curl up, & my feet didn’t turn in as much.

But I have ATHETOSIS as well as spasticity.  In som cases I get to CHOOSE
between the 2.

It’s a little complicated.  But r u able 2 relax a part of your body 2 take
the pressure off it?  In order 2 do this, you hav2 pay a price!  Another
part of u will have to tense up.

It looks like som people with ONLY spasticity, won’t b able 2 do this.  But
I’m wondering if it can be learnt.

I suspect there r many movement “schemes” people can adopt?  I only no wats
happening 2 me….  (& wat it LOOKS like I’m seeing in others).  I cud be very
off on this but I wanted 2 try 2 help, anyway.  :)

                  Jonathan