NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:48:10 -0500
How old is she? Has she had some symptoms and/or reactions that may
have been triggered by contaminated foods? How much of the food? How
bad were the reactions?

Our son, who just turned 20, is asking for oral challenges (again),
and we're thinking seriously about doing so. But with some
trepidation, and most certainly under medical supervision, at his
doctor's office (at Childrens Hospital), possibly as an in-patient
and/or with an IV inserted (at the allergist's discretion).

Here's our story, which I've told before: Our son was as you describe
your daughter, but perhaps a bit worse. He's allergic to milk, eggs,
and all nuts. He has been sensitive to topical exposure. He's also
had hives and respiratory symptoms upon accidental ingestion of small
amounts. He's had a few scary trips to the ER, and has had several
epinephrine injections at the ER or doctor's office, but not yet
using an EpiPen (for at least one reaction we should have given the
EpiPen, but were either very close to the ER or the EpiPen was not on
hand :-().

When he was approx 5 we decided to try an oral challenge for milk,
based on negative skin and blood tests to milk. Our allergist at the
time assured us that our son was not allergic to milk (in spite of
our son's highly atopic nature), so on a Sunday morning(!), at
home(!), we gave him 4 oz. of whole milk (too much, but what did we
know?). As we watched him balloon up and not be able to breathe, we
rushed him to the nearest ER, where he got epi and lots of IV
steroids. We dumped that allergist quick and went to Childrens for
more competent care.

It took until our son was 10 before he tested allergic to milk. We're
still not sure why the allergy did not show up in the tests. Perhaps
he hadn't had enough exposure to have the tests show reactivity,  But
the true test is the patient. Some doctors insist on double-blind
challenges, to trust the veracity of both the patient's reaction and
the physician's observation. We went through that, but it seemed like
a bit of folly at the time. Of course, we didn't do that for his
known anaphylactic triggers.

Our son just reported that he had an accidental exposure to a small
amount of cheese recently at his dorm, and only had minor GI
symptoms. He wants oral challenges for eggs and possibly milk. We'll
be thinking about that and possibly scheduling a challenge soon.

There are a few things that concern me, and that we'll have to watch.
He may have what I've heard referred to as "subclinical" symptoms -
too minor to be detected but still a reaction. If this were the case,
I'd expect such things as worse hay fever symptoms, more sinus and
ear infections, etc., due to more inflamed  upper respiratory
tissues. There's also the possibility, if he tests negative and
starts to consume either milk or eggs, that he'll become sensitized
and have a reaction. As a young adult, it's hard to get him to carry
his EpiPen, but for at least a while he'll be at increased risk.
Making him promise, as part of the bargain, to carry it after the
tests might work. At least for a few weeks :-S

But it would be good to know the outcome of a challenge, and would
even make his life easier if he was not so worried about accidental
exposure. If he does ok with the challenge, he doesn't have to go out
and pig out on pizza, milkshakes, and omelettes. But he might have a
bite of something and not have to wonder quite so much about whether
it will put him into medical crisis.

None of us (he, his allergist, I, or my wife) will be inclined to
oral challenge nuts. His allergist did point out that nut allergies
are more likely to be serious and life-long, and that "some reactions
you just can't bring them back from."

But for the other things, if you have confidence in your allergist,
if accidental small ingestions of milk or eggs have not elicited
strong symptoms, and you have a good, safe plan in the event of
symptoms, and if the challenge is successful, your child will have a
somewhat simpler life. The biggest challenge is for us as parents to
have the courage to consciously go through something that potentially
puts our children at risk.

Not sure if that helps.

Good luck,

Mark