NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mommy of Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 16:27:58 -0500
I need some help/advice.  We just found out yesterday that my son has milk
allergy.  Let me give you a little background first.  We were told my son
had colic between the ages of 1-4 months; however, another doctor then came
back and said he didn't; however, felt he was just a cranky baby.  The
weird thing is, is that the symptoms just then disappeared.  However, since
that time, he's been sick on and off.  Everything from bronchitis, to upper
respiratory infections, to pneumonia and now the latest being sigmoid
volvulus (which means his large intestine got all twisted up, looked like a
knot).  We've also discovered he was born with a very large large intestine
to make matters worse.  He was hospitalized twice in the past two months
for his bowel problems and was incredibly sick.  Then after he was released
from the hospital in April, we noticed he was becoming more and more fussy
and cried a lot and his appetite dwindled away to almost nothing.  Did I
mention that my son who is 2 years and 9 months only weighs 26 pounds and
is only 34 inches tall?  Anyway, we have been quite concerned for over a
year now with how he just isn't growing normally anymore.  He is so
incredibly tiny for a child his age.  That brings us to yesterday.  His
belly was quite distended and he had a lot of gas and since he's had this
bowel twisting and constipation, I assumed it was starting all over again.
However, his Surgeon did some tests and discovered via my keeping a Daily
Diary of my son's eating habits/bowel movements that my son has milk
allergy and more than likely was born with it.  Which now makes so much
sense since I breastfed him his first year of like and he was actually on
the top of the charts at that time.  It wasn't until I stopped nursing him,
that he fell and has now fallen off the bottom of the chart.  I am
desperate for any good websites on milk allergy.  I found a couple, but
would love any advice you can give.  I need to get him healthy and happy
again for his sake as well as mine and my husband's.  Its been very
stressful having a child so sick for so long.  Please help.

Heidi
Mommy of Mason
2 years 9 months