C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 05:37:05 -0500
Much appreciated. :-)

As for the water retention, I have problems with that, too, and the
GP will likely put you on a diuretic which is no fun but it does the
trick.  I also keep my feet and legs moving as much as possible - if
you just sit in your chair all day long and don't move at all, edema
is sure to result.  Another thing you might want to watch is your
sodium intake as too much sodium will increase water retention.  Be a
vigourous label-reader when you look at tins or packaged foods - the
high amounts of sodium can be shockingly high.

I remember the first time I read that my favourite tin of Campbells
Zesty Tomato Soup had a whopping 1,010 mg of sodium per serving I
almost fainted.  Now I buy very low-sodium tinned soups and add my
own spices and zest it up myself!  Here in the US, the Health Valley
has a line of very low sodium soups that I love and I can also buy
low-sodium instant-noodle soups that can be reconstituted with hot
water.   Very handy for lunches at work.

Kat