From:
Ham Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 19:57:38 -0400
Hi Howard,

A few thoughts.  I don't know how the PacMate would work but definitely the
VoiceNote with GPSNote and the Trekker would do the job from a blindness
standpoint.  The Trekker is the cheapest solution at around $1600.

Some other considerations:

One possibility is at
http://www.advancednavigation.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_48&products_id=91
It is entirely a voice-input system, but I understand the developers haven't
updated the software as promised.

Another possibility is to look at the voice navigation system from
tomtom.com.  I don't think it is voice input as the above system is, but it
does give voice instructions.

Finally, if the driver doesn't need turn-by-turn prompting, if your friend
calls 1-800-555-TELL and says "driving Directions," if he knows the starting
point and destination addresses, it will give turn-by-turn instructions such
as turn left on First street, go 1.6 miles to the I-216 ramp.  Take I-216
for twenty-four miles to Exit 43.

Hth,
Steve, K8SP