From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 2006 21:45:37 -0500
Hi.

It depends a lot upon how sophisticated the filter is that you buy.  Most
of these filters will allow you to be able to taylor the bandpass in some
way, and most allow you to select between several different noise reduction
algorithms.  They also usually include an automatic notch filter that can
be enabled or disabled as the need arises.  The cheaper DSP filters (the
audio frequency ones) such as the DSP40 from Radio Shack (made in the mid
1990's) work about as well as the active audio filters of yesterday, but
the better audio DSP units and most of the IF level DSPs will outperform
all but the best active audio filters.  By the way, I still miss my Autek
Research QF1A.  If I ever get the chance, I'll scarf up another one!

Anyway, most good DSP filters "ring" a lot less than the active audio
filters were prone to do, and the roll off is much quicker.  For the most
part, it is the noise reduction effects that I am not crazy about, rather
than the bandpass, although I still like some of the better analog filters,
especially the ones that are in my Drake R8A communications receiver.  For
those of you who've never heard one, there is a nice receiver.  Too bad
they never made a speech board for it.

I have one of the W9GR audio DSP units on my old Kenwood TS690S, and of
course the Kenwood TS2000S has a IF level DSP filter.  I like to have the
noise reduction during the thunderstorm season, but I'm not so keen about
it this time of year.

Hopefully, that gives you a little better idea about DSP filters.

73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]