VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 2005 14:43:19 -0500
7bit
From:
Lynn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Hello Aquarius and other interested parties:

It sounds like you may have fixed your own problem. Let's hope so.

I post this so you will have a clearer understanding of what a firewall
does.

There are nasty people that have nothing better to do than run a program
that randomly generates Internet addresses to ping your computer.  It is
like walking down the sidewalk and checking to see whose car is unlocked.

When the nasties find your computer port and there are a lot of them, open
they can gain access to your computer. They would be able to look around on
your hard drive. They could turn your computer into a zombie and have your
computer spew out spam.  They could place a key logger program on your
computer to monitor your keystrokes.

So if you should need to disable the firewall for some reason, just remember
to enable the firewall when you get done.

When the firewall is functional the ping just bounces off and says "nothing
there".

A really good firewall will notify you of the going and comings as you enjoy
your computer. The Ex P firewall is only a half of a firewall. It will block
everything getting in. If you should have something on the drive the
firewall will not let you know when it tries to access the Internet?

Safe computering to you