From:
Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Oct 2005 18:22:52 -0400

I asked the list for recommendations for the resources they found
most useful for dealing with newly diagnosed children.

Danna Korn's books won hands down. I have since bought them and have
found them to be very useful.

I also wanted to know what parents did about birthday parties and
activities like Daisies.  Parents appear to take a gluten free snack
pack to birthday parties and to try to duplicate the birthday food.
I was rather flabbergasted by the number of emails that listed pizza
as birthday food. We go to a lot of birthday parties and have only
seen pizza served once.  Pizza must be something that gets served at
older children's parties.

The responses about Daisies were fairly evenly split between the camp
that said I should just bring my kids' food myself and the other that
said I should try to get the snack mom to provide a GF snack.

My limited experience has shown me that I can't really trust other
people as most do not understand the danger of cross contamination.
I don't know yet if my children are going to turn out to be as
sensitive  to gluten as I am and I don't really want the opportunity
to find out. LOL

thank you for all the very caring and informative responses

Sherene in Norfolk, VA