Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 10:22:47 +0000

Reintroducing dairy after one year GF:  Original question below.
For the past year, I have followed a very strict gluten free, dairy free, low fat, no yeast, sugar, chemicals, additives or tomatoes or citrus.  What would be the wisest dairy food to reintroduce and how much should I try.  I usually do not try any new item more often than every 3 or 4 weeks.  Some thoughts are goat dairy products, kefir, some kind of easy to digest cheese, soy cheese that has a little casein or whey in it, plain yogurt.  The last dairy foods I tolerated before eliminating dairy 3 or 4 years ago were some hard cheeses and plain Stoneyfield Farms yogurt though I didn't know about goat cheese and yogurt or kefir at that time.  Last November my nutritionist had me try 1/4 cup of plain kefir and I had bloating, gas  and abdominal pain the first day so haven't tried since then.  I have finally been feeling quite a bit better and gained a couple of pounds with a weight of 106 up from 97 pounds.  It has been very difficult to gain and don't want to try anything that might upset the balance again.  I have been taking 40 billion of a good probiotic daily for one year and L-glutamine powder 1 and 1/2 teaspoons daily for 4 months which has helped with healing the gut and rebuilding muscle which was lost when weight went from 127 to 97 pounds in a few months last year.
I have received 19 replies which follow.
1.  Sheep/goat milk yogurt- Fage brand sheep/goat milk from Greece is good for this person.  Can find it at TJ and Whole Foods, Andronio's Store in Berkley, CA or middle eastern markets.  A good aged cheddar has only a little lactose.  Person has way less tummy problems now that she eats Fage yogurt each evening with a dairy free probiotic. Also helps if tummy reaction from accidental ingestion.  Avoids a sinus reaction and helps recover quickly.
2.  Your gut is not healed yet.  Just a GF diet takes 4 to 5 years to heal gut and thus do away with lactose intolerance.  Speed process by taking one probiotic complex with one L-glutamine.  This heals the gut in about 4 months.  This was recommended by a nutritionist who teaches on the grad level.
3,  Kefir or yogurt-organic like Stoneyfield Farms- has beneficial enzymes and no preservatives.
4.  Try lactaid or lactose free milk or stick with GF vanilla flavored soy milk.  May be lactose intolerance or casein intolerance.
5.  Go slow, go small with goat or sheep products.  Careful not to make them a daily or even weekly menu item.  Yogurt better if goat or sheep derived.  This person still has symptoms from GF cheese dip.
6.  Lactose free milk 4oz at a time, once a day for 3 days then evaluate.  Son used to have severe dairy problems but could always handle lactose free milk.
7.  Cheese or yogurt since most hard cheeses are lactose free and yogurt is very low in it.  Both easy to digest.  Kefir is a very strong probiotic which makes many people bloated and agsy and causes stomach pain so would stay away from that.  My husband after learning he could eat cheese went to frozen yogurt.
8.  Son has been GF 2 years and DF for one.  Going to try to introduce dairy again.  Doc stated that even though he isn't lactose intolerant to start with lactose free dairy because it is easier to digest.  Usually hard cheeses are lactose free.  Many of them state on the label, especially Kraft.  I think yogurt is okay and lactaid milk.
9.  My husband decided to reintroduce dairy and chose something he really loved so if he reacted to it he would have gone down with the memory of the taste of something wonderful.  Chose tapioca pudding.  He dished up a giant bowl. Waited and waited for a reaction but there never was one and he ate dairy happily ever after.  He had been without dairy for 3 years before he tested the dairy waters.
10.  Have only been able to introduce soy yogurt and shredded parmesan cheese after a year.
To be continued-