From:
Lynn Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:28:10 -0400

The poignant message about trying to get gf food to celiacs reminded me to
post my annual suggestion to parents to put emergency gf food in your
children's school locker or cubby.  I live in the DC area, where threat of
"lock-down" in the schools is always a real possibility.  And of course, in
case of weather emergency, terrorist lock-down or whatever, the food that
schools have stockpiled will not be gf.

I put an emergency supply of non-perishable foods in each of my kids'
lockers, to include things such as peanut butter, protein bars, trail mix,
individual applesauces, boxes of raisins, juice boxes, rice crackers.  I
alert my kids' teachers that it is there, as well as letting my kids know it
is there.  I package it in a box or bag so it could be grabbed quickly in
case kids are re-located.  I also stock pile non-perishable food in a
rubbermaid container in my basement, so we can shelter-in-place or throw the
whole box in the car in case we have to evacuate quickly.

happily, for the past four years, I always end up carrying the food home
again in June, and we eat it up over the summer :-).  Fingers crossed that
this trend continues.

take care, Lynn