From:
Dick LeTourneau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dick LeTourneau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Feb 2006 17:12:13 -0500

Recently I asked type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetics what they eat for
breakfast since gf cereals tend to shoot my blood sugar through the
roof. I got many answers. Most said they, too, have the same problem
with skyrocketing blood sugar. Many don't eat a traditional breakfast.
Here are some of the suggestions I received. As always thank you all for
your help.

Corn Crunch-ems and Rice Crunch-ems.

Simple smoothies that only take minutes to make.  Put some milk, plain
gf yogurt, then some fresh strawberries or banana in a blender and mix
it all together.

Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty GF Cereal.

Banana Waffle from Trader Joes. Van's also has a good GF waffle. I also have canadian bacon and a
scrambled egg with it.

I eat sandwiches made with Kinnikinnick white sandwich bread and Deitz & Watson, Oscar Meyer or other
gluten free meats (I prefer ham, which is generally low fat), a slice of Kraft DeliDeluxe cheese and lots of lettuce
along with a diet soda.

Cream of rice.

Protein like eggs, or peanut butter on toast.

Yogurt seems to be a popular breakfast, also scrambled eggs or scrambled tofu. "mini-quiche".

Pocono Cream of Buckwheat.  Alti Plano Gold Quinoa Instant hot cereal.

An egg custard (bakes while I am getting dressed for work) or plain yogurt with strawberries and walnuts.

Muffins or other breads that will help me be ready for the week. I also eat brown rice cereal or quinoa flakes.
Gluten free cornflakes are usually a little lower in sugar.

Authentic Foods Pancake mix.

Left over dinner from the night before.

Vans GF blueberry waffles, enjoy life bagels, whole foods gf blueberry muffins and whole foods gf sundried
tomato bread toasted.

Bacon or ham or an egg or two with a slice of cheese, and a small helping of fruit or even some left over
vegetables from the night before.

Applesauce and 4 crumbled Dr.Schar Fette Biscottate crackers.

Brown rice cereal, or Bob's Red Mill Creamy Buckwheat, Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal (which is a blend of GF
grains),  or millet, or quinoa.

Peanut butter, eggs, Bob's Red Mill Brown Rice Farinha (cooked cereal), toast.  Avocado on toast.  Sometimes I
have microwave popcorn (Orville's Smart Pop), or I just eat leftovers.  Rice with whatever leftover is still in the
fridge added.  That way you still get some carb, but not a lot of it, and the protein/fat helps slow down the
absorption rate.  I have found that either high fiber (popcorn) or protein with breakfast really help my BG.

Cottage cheese and fresh fruit.

Plain yogurt with "fruit only" preserves or applesauce mixed in leftover brown rice with a splash of milk and a
handful of nuts fresh fruit and a hardboiled egg hot cereal (Bob's Red Mill GF Cereal) Kasha (whole grain
buckwheat, which is GF) made with raisins dinner leftovers.

All Whites liquefied egg whites, I make an omelet, and lately, been just scrambling them, and adding pieces of
cracker barrel cheddar cheese.

1/2 pear or peach; one muffin; one 8 oz. glass of milk; and, since I  don't much like meat, a tablespoon or two of
peanut butter.