From:
Don Hogan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2006 11:37:12 -0600
KEN ENGELHART wrote:
> I'm a bit behind in my response, but the original question is why
> coconuts would not develop natural poisons like other seeds.  The
> answer is that developing natural poisons is one of several
> evolutionary strategies that seeds can adopt.  Another is to have a
> very hard shell.  The coconut with its natural husk is very hard for
> most animals to open.  So coconut is free from poisons.  In general,
> if you gathering food in the jungle, eat the nuts with the hardest
> shells.  They will be the safest.  Ken

Thanks Ken, your answer makes a lot of sense. We can't paint all seeds
with the same brush.

I'm researching and discovering the world of higher plant lectins, a
popular defense used by grains and beans. The research is super
fascinating and scary.  Even though they ( the Monsanto's of the world)
are GM a lot of agricultural seeds varieties to have greater insecticide
resistance they have little to no knowledge of the long term effects on
mammals, specifically human consumption of these agriculture products.
Lectins are powerful critters. Their agglutinin effect on  bloods and
their nutrient inhibiting properties in the lining of the stomach is but
the tip of the iceberg!

Don