From:
"Paula H." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 07:26:12 -0400
-----Original Message-----
 On Behalf Of Rob Campbell

<I'm a recovered vegetarian.>
You might enjoy reading Weston Price's "Nutrition and Physical
Degeneration".  He studied about 30 primitive cultures all around the world
in the 1930's.  Not even one was vegetarian.

<I was alerted to the "paleo diet" concept at first in the Dr Weil book  He
says essentially that it makes some since, but has too much fat, not enough
carbohydrates, and that paleolithic people had short lifespans.>
Paleolithic people died from disease - no antibiotics then - and injuries.
Weil looks pudgy to me.  I eat paleo and I have lost and kept off 82 pounds
with all my health numbers in the great range according to standard medical
science.

<So which guide (or others?) is suggested for a novice?  Or is the
information available on the net sufficient?>
I personally like The Protein Power Life Plan by the Eades as a good, well
rounded introduction to paleo eating.

<concern I have with this is that I cannot stand to eat eggs.>
So, don't eat them!  I don't like eggs but I don't hate them.  I eat them
about once a week for variety.  Like Robert said - you can camouflage the
taste with a variety of meats or fats and spices.

<More than anything I am concernced about the social and cultural
challenges...  Anyone else been through this?>
How about anyone who eats differently from the Standard American Diet??  My
extended family gave me grief for several years because I "ruined" get
togethers because I would not eat cake or chips or ice cream, etc - even
though I never asked to them to make something special for me.  There was
enough I could eat and I often brought nuts or vegetables just in case.
They always had meat.  Now they are so accustomed to my way of eating it is
no longer an issue.  BTW, I would have been treated the same way as a
vegetarian or low fatter.

My husband eats a really lousy diet - SAD to the max.  Even though he has
seen how much my health and life has improved he will not give up candy, ice
cream, white bread, chips, all kinds of store bought baked goods, etc.  It
is easy to cook for both of us.  I make paleo meals, and he supplements with
his junk.  I will also cook a potato or pasta for him.

Paula H.