VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
George Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:32:45 +0100
Hi Rachel,

I'd need to see the actual file to be certain, but it sounds
as if the PDF file in question contains material saved as an
Image.  It's rather like taking a photograph of an old
newspaper, and making the photograph into a PDF file.  A
sighted person can see the picture, and of course read the
text, only it's not text, but a picture.

George.

List

Acrobat
> 7; but without using the JAWS cursor I couldn't see any
text.
>  With the JAWS cursor, I saw 1 of x )pages), but nothing
> else.  I tried converting the file to text, but it saved a

> file with 0K.  I never got the message that the file was a

> graphic image; but for lack of what else to try, I tried
> printing the file via the Freedom Import printer that
comes
> with OpenBook.  It went through the pages and gave me
> percentages of the file that were being printed - or so I
> thought; but never having used this feature before, I
didn't
> really know what to expect.  It then opened OpenBook, but
all
> that said was "no pages."
> I tried closing OpenBook and got the message that a job
was
> being cancelled.  I ended up having to reboot the computer

> because JAWS became unloaded, and even after I reloaded
it,
> it wasn't reading things correctly.  Should I have given
the
> system more time to convert the file?  Does the  converted

> file open up in OpenBook?  As I say, I've never used this
> feature in OpenBook so don't even know what I'm looking
for.
> When I was choosing the Freedom Import printer in the
Print
> dialogue from within Acrobat, should I have checked Print
> File?  Has anyone ever seen this problem with a PDF file
> where there doesn't seem to be any text, regardless of
which
> page you look at?
> Thanks for any help you can provide me.
> Rachel