From:
Eugene Breindel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 18:47:01 -0500
Sorry, this is a little long but so you all have the history.

I have an HP Pavillion 533W, 2.0 Celeron, 256 Mb Ram, 58 Gb HD, Win XP.
Here is the problem.  The original owner had it just go blank on her.  When
you start it back up, it goes through the start up screen and gets to the
desktop and goes black again.  In this shut off condition the power supply
is still on, the monitor is still woking, (It has a display for 30 sec), You
have to hold the power button in for a breif period to power down the computer to start it back up again.
The original owner took it to Best Buy and they said a new hard drive, but
when they put one in, it did the same thing.  Then they said the MoBo and the
owner gave up on it.
I have done the following to it.
Put new BIOS battery in. Got it to fire up and stay on longer than usual.  Then tried the HP recory from Hard Drive.  It didn't work.  So took the recovery CD's and plugged them through.  The computer stays on through the entire 1.5 hours of recovery.  (reads 8 cd's to a partition then starts the recovery from that partition.  When doing this it gets 59% of the way through the install from the partition and  give an error mesage.
"Problem extracting files" and a location "hp\drivers\file.name"  . and from 59% to 77% I have to acknowledge about 2000 messages. Then it finishes the remaining install and restarts.

Error message is then:
Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
Please roport this problem as:
load needed DLLs for kernel.
Please contact your support person to report this problem.

I have done this with two separates sets of recovery CD's and it does the
same thing each time.

I have used my standard XP home CD's and installed it and did the software
updates, hardware updates, SP2, but it still keeps powering off.  I I have
removed the modem card, removed the power and ribbons from the Floppy, CD
Drive, individually and all at the same time.  Still does it.
The only things left in the computer are the MoBo, CPU chip, and Hard drive.
How can I tell which one it is.
I am thinking of copying the 8Gb Hard drive of my Old Dell to the 58Mb drive
and putting it in my Dell to run it for a while to test the hard drive.

What else can I do?  Looking for suggestions.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml