From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 09:21:20 -0600
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:45:19 -0600, Philip <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> if it were just as easy to lose weight by limiting calories as by
> changing the types of foods eaten then I don't think that the USwould
> have quite the obesity problem it has and conventional dietswouldn't
> fail as often as they do. We can agree to
> disagree on that one.

For what it's worth, I think the high failure rate of conventional diets
is mostly because of the people engaging in them.  There are several
people I know who have been "on a diet", and it's interesting to watch
their eating choices.  Several of them will have "just one bite" of a
snacky food, or have just a little too much of something figuring they'll
make it up later.  All those little bits here and there really add up.  I
was fanatical about recording everything I ate into a database so I know
for sure how much I was getting.  If the average person dieting did that
for a month, they would probably discover that they're eating a lot more
than they think they are.  I know I was.

Changing the content will probably work faster and easier *if* the person
can stomach the change in content.  There are some people I know (my wife
is among them) for whom a meal just is not complete without bread, a
potato, rice, or something.  It's really hard to change that mindset.  Her
opinion of my diet is that there's nothing she can fix for me other than a
piece of meat and a vegetable.  My opinion of my diet is that the choices
are endless (though admittedly they do tend to boil down to a piece of
meat and a vegetable).  :-)

The mind is the hardest thing to change -- get *that* done and the diet is
easy.

--
   Robert Kesterson