Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 21:06:58 -0500
William
> On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 16:42:55 -0500, Philip <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>   The Bannock were Plains Indians who hunted buffalo (American bison).
>
> Odd. Is that their original name, or is someone making joke?
> See here: http://www.twobay.com/bannock.htm brought by fur
> traders from Scotland. Modern Cree make something they call
> "fry bread", instead of lard they use
> horrible smelling cooking oil.
> BTW for fans of Li'l Abner, the Kickapoo indians are real. I
> don't know
> about Kickapoo Joy Juice.
>
> William

Yes, bannock bread is Scottish bread that (unfortunately) became the popular
"fry bread" of the Indians, but Bannock Indians are real people (see here:
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/lewisandclark/record_tribes_001_11_7.html)
. It's possible that Bannock is a European name that was applied to the
tribe by the whites. I don't know.