Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 17:35:34 -0500
DS wrote:

>hi-
>
>  i am not diabetic but i am curious how the paleo diet needs to be tailored to diabetics?
>
>  can you keep red meat? fruits?
>
>  thanks!

I am diabetic and I think the paleo diet is the best way for me to eat.
It basically
eliminates all the foods that are bad for diabetics. I usually maintain
normal blood
sugar and no longer need medication.

Red meat is a staple but I avoid fruit except for lemons and limes and
hot peppers.
I'll also eat wild berries and the non-sweet fruits (like tomatoes and
peppers) but
in moderation, mostly from my garden and uncooked. Cooking fruits makes
them
too sugary. Grilled seems okay for me though . Grilled peppers and
tomatoes and
meat. Shish-kebob.

Most of my plant matter is in the form of green leaves, with some nuts
and seeds
(pumpkin, sunflower) in moderation. My staples are red meat, birds,
fish, eggs,
green leaves, and water. I already ate no grains at all even before I
discovered
paleo. I think grains and other starchy foods are what caused the
disease in the
first place.

I had discovered a doctor who had a clue about diabetes. suggested that
I cut
grains, starchy vegetables and cooked tomatoes. He also advised eating red
meat again. I finally made progress.

Meat is not a problem for me  unless it's conventional corn/grain fed
stuff. Grain
finished seems fine, especially organic, although grass fed is best.
Grains can be
a problem for me even when they are second hand. I also have no problem
with
animal fats or fatty cuts of meat.

I've come to see the conventional advice to stick to lean meats or avoid
red meat
as backwards. I eat fatty cuts of red meat and greasy duck. It works for
me. I can
eat a steak and have no problem but a beet or a carrot (especially
cooked)  causes
serious blood sugar issues so starchy vegetables are also avoided.
Starch is the
biggest problem for me. That's sugar. Fruit is also sugar. Sugar is
sugar no matter
what form it takes.

I think this way of eating I have described is also ideal for candidiasis.