Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 17:02:52 -0500
I've been lurking here for months, but I just had to speak up.
Goodness Gracious! That meat is expensive. And shipping is extra.
I only pay $7.00 per lb for range fed water buffalo tenderloin, locally.

Well, I might as well introduce myself, since I spoke up.

Hello,
 I've been following the Neanderthin diet for over a year, and Atkin's
for a year before that. (Ironically, I've had my pets, 2 German
Shepards, 3 cats, on an all natural, bones and raw food diet for 5
years or so. I was feeding them better than I was feeding myself.)

We (my DH and I) bought 19 acres in the country (North Florida) and
built our own house 2 years ago. I look forward to getting our fencing
up so we can raise our own meat - goats most likely. There is abundant
deer on our property, especially since we border a State Park. I
haven't quite got up the nerve to hunt myself, but I am hoping the
friends that I am allowing to hunt I my property will help keep my
freezer full of venison.

Before starting Atkins, and later Neanderthin, I lost 50 lbs on the
Weight Watcher diet. Unfortunately, by the time I reached goal weight,
everything I ate made my sick. I hadn't been able to eat eggs for
sometime, but when vegetable soup made me sick, I knew something was
Not Right. (green beans were the culprit, I think) It took both my
mother and my sister going on the Atkin's diet, and not dropping dead
instantly, to convince me to give it a try. I was brainwashed by the
whole fat-free craze, you see. Within 2 weeks, I could eat eggs again,
and everything else, without getting sick. I was sold.

The more reading I did on nutrition, the closer I got to a paleo diet.
I never liked using all the fake foods that Atkin's sells, especially
since I had always loved to cook. With all the contradictory advice on
what was 'healthy', I had given up and decided to eat only real food,
as close to the source a possible: meat, veggies, fruit, and whole
grains. When I finally bought Neanderthin and read it, it seemed the
logical conclusion of all my searching. All I had to do was cut out
the grains. It makes sense, I love it, and plan to stick to it for
life.

We are currently trying to conceive our first child. I am looking
forward to a (hopefully) easy pregnancy and birth, sticking to a paleo
diet  the whole time. (Mr. Audette, I will be Very Disappointed if you
are wrong about that!)

My husband is also on a paleo diet, and my friends and family get to
hear all about it, much to their dismay, I'm sure. I try not to get
preachy, but it's hard watching people eat junk, and then not know why
they feel bad and get sick.

I greatly value the information and discussions on this forum. I have
actually read the first 2 years worth of the archives. Hopefully, I
can make worthwhile contributions in the future.

Camille