BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:02:16 -0500
I must be a glutton for punishment, but here goes:

1. I disagree with those who have been characterizing silane water repellents
as coatings, or something one might "schmear" on a wall. They don't work that
way. They are strictly changing the surface chemistry of the substrate,
bonding a non-polar, hydrophobic functional group to what would otherwise be a
hydrophilic concrete or masonry surface. (Surface, in this context, includes
the surface of pores with which the treatment comes in contact.) Not a real
film, like paint, no real impact on breathability, just making the surface
difficult to "wet".

2. I agree with everyone who is opposed to using these things as a cheap
alternative to doing the proper job of correcting water infiltration problems
in a comprehensive way. Use this stuff as a Band-Aid and it can either do
nothing, or may make matters worse. But used as part of a comprehensive
restoration plan, it can do no harm and can significantly extend the life of
repairs and substrates which are deteriorating slowly.

3. All of our work indicates that silane and siloxane water repellents
diminish in performance over time. In some the differences were dramatic in a
few months. In others, they were still remarkably effective after 5 years. But
even if they were to last no longer than 5-10 years, what's wrong with
delaying the onset of weathering for that period of time? Even if the
treatment is never reapplied, you've gained 5 or 10 years pretty inexpensively.

4. Mineral coatings (if they are of the truly reactive type, which you should
never presume) show great potential as long-term paint or stain treatments.
For situations where the original finish has weathered away, they are a great
option for aesthetic refinishing. They generally will also incorporate enough
water repellent chemistry to provide some level of weatherproofing. A great
tool in the right application, but a more aggressive intervention than a clear
silane.

Mike E

Edison Coatings, Inc.
M. P. Edison