Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2007 12:34:48 -0500
7bit
From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Kristina K. Carlton wrote:
>> All of my bacon fat is from low salt, uncured, hormone free bacon.
>>
> Jim,
>
> Where do you get this Bacon? I used to buy Pederson organic, applewood
> smoked, uncured bacon but we live in a very remote area now and I have not
> found uncured bacon. Peaceful Pastures, where I get my organic meat now,
> sells their bacon for close to $8/pound - can't afford that.

Strictly speaking, "uncured bacon" is an oxymoron.  Bacon is, by
definition, cured pork belly.  If it isn't cured, it's just pork belly,
not bacon.  It's in the same category as "unfermented wine."  There is
no such thing.  Grape juice isn't unfermented wine, or any other kind of
wine.

Mere logic doesn't stop companies from marketing their products as
uncured bacon, of course, but the real point is not that the bacon is
uncured; it's *how* it's cured.  The term "cure" refers to any process
by which meat is modified for preservation, so smoke, salt, and sugar
are all possible curing agents.  I think that what these companies mean
by "uncured bacon" is bacon cured without nitrates or other artificial
chemicals.

There, I feel better now.

Todd Moody