From:
Liz Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 5 Nov 2005 21:43:22 -0000

 Hello again everyone,

I received a few more comments about these topics after I posted my recent
summaries:

1. Re: Substitution
Cornstarch does not work 1 to1 except for cake flour.  You have to add about
2 tablespoons extra of corn starch for each cup of regular flour.
If you decide to bake cookies with corn starch do not touch them until they
are completely cool.  Just let them sit on the cookie sheet.  If you cannot
wait they will fall apart.

2. Re: Storage
Another reason to freeze flour, beans etc. is that you avoid getting bugs
in it.  If you ever get meal moth in your dry stuff you will always freeze
it after that like I had to.  Sometimes natural beans, grains and flour have
eggs in
them. If it is  frozen for a week or two I think it kills them.  So freeze
the stuff when you first get it.  It will also avoid going rancid as you
said and the flavor is better than just sitting on the shelf forever.  When
you have flour in the kitchen, keep it in a tightly sealed container, not
open.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Best GF wishes to all,
Liz Ward, Dublin, Ireland.