From:
Sue Munn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 5 Nov 2005 00:29:00 -0500

Hi,

As a recently diagnosed celiac, right now, I have four main concerns, and
I'd like your advice:

(1) I know celiacs are to beware of hydrogenated oils in foods, but are ANY
hydrogenated oils acceptable in foods or as additives in foods for celiacs?

(2) Also, I am taking a B-6 vitamin, a B-12 vitamin, calcium plus zinc, and
a Centrum vitamin daily (all over-the counter) at my doctor's
recommendation. Since I began taking these, I have had some more symptoms. I
called the "hotlines" on the bottles and was told that these were "safe."
Since the ingredients aren't always clear to me, should I discontinue taking
these? I plan to discuss this with my doctor this week also.

(3) I'd like some advice on bagged miniature chocolate chip pieces, peanut
butter pieces/drops, butterscotch pieces/drops  found in the baking aisle in
grocery stores and used for chocolate chip cookes-- and in other candies and
cakes.  Are these safe for celiacs if baked into gluten-free flour baked
goods? Toll House, Hershey's and store brands are available, and I'm not
sure from the ingredient list if these are safe for celiacs or not. If they
are not, please recommend a brand or type of gluten-free chocoate or other
flavored chips which I can add to baking items; please let me know where
these are available.

(4) Also, I am concerned about possible gluten  components in my  makeup and
moisturizing creams/cold creams. What do celiacs need to look for and avoid
in cosmetic products? What are the most seriously dangerous ingredients in
these for celiacs?

I welcome your advice on any or all of my concerns above.

Thanks,
Sue Munn
Atlanta, GA