From:
CJLydick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:30:13 -0400

My daughter (grown) has severe stomach pain.  Most of the family has celiac
or wheat allergy/intolerance.  The doctor, who at first glance, seemed very
knowledgeable about CD told us after she performed an endoscopy that my
daughter did not have celiac.  I asked if she could tell that before the
biopsy came back and she said yes, she could tell by just looking at the
upper intestines.  I always thought that the biopsy was something
microscopic and only a trained lab could give accurate results.  Is being
able to determine celiac by just looking at the intestines during an
endoscopy an accurate method of diagnosis without confirming the biopsy
results, a legitimate practice?  Is this something new or is the doctor
uninformed?
Thanks, Carol in NJ