Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 13:23:41 -0700
From:
"Jackie R." <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:

Thanks  to the 41 persons who responded to my inquiry about whether
they had joint pain and stiffness associated with eating gluten and
what they do to relieve it.

Lots of good information -- I will try to do it justice in this
summary.  Best of  luck to everyone who has this problem and the good
news is that you are definitely NOT alone!!!

Jackie in AZ

PART 2:  SUMMARY OF JOINT SWELLING AND PAIN

Other suggestions:
**  Have her tested her for C Reactive Protein which can indicate
autoimmune or rheumatic changes. There is also a rheumatoid factor they
can test for.  There is a gene for rheumatoid arthritis.

**  Have tests to rule out Lupus.
**   If the RA comes back negative...ask the MD about fibromyalgia.

**   Keep a food diary and see if it reveals other substances that she
is sensitive to.

**   Don't have her take glucosamine without  research - some web sites
say that it isn't recommended for children whose joints are still
growing but I don't know what the latest research is.

**   Some girls and women get a peculiar arthritis from the Measles
vaccination shot.  You can find out about this at the National Vaccine
Information Center website    www.909shot.com.

**   I think that celiacs who are not yet healed don't absorb fluids
and electrolytes properly.

**   My naturopath also recommended slippery elm and licorice tea for
digestion, but I haven't tried it.

**   I would look for gluten contamination in vitamins,
pharmaceuticals, spices and other hidden places before letting a
rheumatologist give her a chemotherapy agent (there are several that
were originally cancer drugs) to tamp down the immune system.

**   Have her tested to see if she has IgA reactions to the proteins in
dairy as well as to gluten. Dairy is almost worse than gluten for my
joint problems, pain and stiffness. There are no better food
sensitivity tests than at Enterolab. They found that I has reactions to
three proteins in diary, baker's and brewer's yeast as well as gluten.
Dairy is very dangerous.

**   Don't have her take glucosamine without  research - some web sites
say that it isn't recommended for children whose joints are still
growing but I don't know what the latest research is.

Below are a couple of excerpts from emails that provide more
information about a couple of the potential remedies described above.

It (joint pain) can come on 3 hours later (after the gluten exposure)
or even as late as the next day.  I often can link this to lymphatic
congestion, which makes sense, as your lymph system carries away toxins
and also is the roadway in the body that the immune system uses to get
from one area to another... My worst symptom is actually fatigue, which
is caused by the lymphatic system competing for nutrients with the
adrenal gland and the adrenals losing out.  So the supplementation
(using CoQ 10 and pantethine supplements listed above) is a must for
me.  I do notice that the supplementation is helpful for my pain as
well.  I have both muscle and joint pain (called fibromyalgia, but I
really think this is just a lymphatic issue).  I used to get terrible
joint pain in humid or rainy weather and would practically go crazy
with pain during approaching weather fronts.  The supplementation has
really helped alot with that.  Doctors really don't have a clue to
these problems.  I had to research this stuff on my own and finally
found the lymphatic/adrenal problem by accident.  My suspicions were
confirmed and treated by a good nutritionist.

******************
Before I was diagnosed and for several months after diagnosis, I had
fairly severe joint pain.  I eventually went to a gastro dr. who
intimated that my symptoms sounded like B-12 deficiency.  My levels
were within what is considered to be normal limits at 411.  But after
some internet research, I found that other countries treat for B-12
deficiency when the levels dip below 500.  I also learned that it can
be treated with sublingual B-12 (I take 2500 mcgs under my tongue each
day).  I got almost immediate relief.  Within a week my employer said I
was acting like a 20 year old and my daughter said, "I have my Mommy
back".  It was amazing.  My memory improved, the pain and stiffness
went away.  Sometimes it appears that the celiac disease damages the
intrinsic factor mechanism necessary to absorb B-12.  In my case,
although I am gluten free (most of the time), I still have to take the
B-12 under my tongue because I am not absorbing it thru the normal
channels.  This is something you can try yourself without a physician.
B-12 is water soluible, so you can't overdose on it.