From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 08:16:52 -0700
On 6 Sep 2005 at 15:17, Amy Ledford wrote:

> I have to agree with the other members and advise that
> you invest in a router. You will not be able to share
> files--unless someone lets us in on a secret--with a
> hub, but you should be able to have both PCs online. I
> may be mistaken on the last statement, and I am sure
> someone will let me know.

  A router connects one network with another.  It shouldn't be doing
anything to interfere with traffic *within* one of the networks -- you need
to get into much bigger and more expensive equipment to get that "feature".

> The fact that you are pulling a 169 IP on the 98
> machine is a possible, but not conclusive indicator
> that it may be a bad NIC (Network Interface Card). Try
> to connect the cable modem directly to the 98 machine
> and see if it is able to surf. The 169 IP is generally
> invalid. If the cable modem is DHCP-enabled, you
> should pull another IP. If it is a router, you
> generally will have a 192 IP.

  It just means that it hasn't gotten an answer from a DHCP server.  His ISP
is probably only giving one address to the line, and remembers which PC it
gave it to.

> The reason I said to disable the firewalls is
> two-fold: 1. occasionally a firewall is misconfigured
> and affects the ability to surf. 2. For setting up
> File and Print Sharing--since software firewalls tend
> to block incoming and outgoing traffic.

  If his firewall configuration worked with just the hub, it should still be
working fine.  Disabling it is unlikely to help with anything we've been
told about yet.

David Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml