ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ned Benton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2005 16:54:59 -0400
I got this today from my sister.  I don't know where it came from or if it
is true but I don't know that it will touch your hearts.

Ned

Thought you could appreciate this right now....
Awesome Story
-------------------------------------
A man from Norfolk, VA
 called a local radio station to share this on Sept 11th, 2003. His Name was
Robert
Matthews.
These are his words:
"A few weeks before Sept. 11th, my wife and I found out we were going to
have our
first child. She planned a trip out to
California
 to visit her sister. On our way to the airport, we prayed that God would
grant my
wife
a safe trip and be with her.  Shortly after I said 'amen,' we both heard a
loud pop
and the car shook violently. We had blown out a tire.
I replaced the tire as quickly as I could, but we still missed her flight.
Both very
upset, we drove home.
I received a call from my father who was retired NYFD. He asked what my
wife's flight
number was, but I explained that we missed the flight. My father informed me
that
her flight was the one that crashed into the southern tower. I was too
shocked to
speak.
My father also had more news for me; he was going to help. 'This is not
something
I can just sit by for; I have to do something.'
I was concerned for his safety, of course, but more because he had never
given his
life to Christ. After a brief debate, I knew his mind was made up. Before he
got
off of the phone, he said, 'take good care of my grandchild.'
Those were the last words I ever heard my father say; he died while helping
in the
rescue effort. My joy that my prayer of safety for my wife had been answered
quickly
became anger. I was angry at God, at my father, and at
 myself.
I had gone for nearly two years blaming God for taking my father away. My
son would
never know his grandfather, my father had never accepted Christ, and I never
got
to say goodbye Then something happened.
About two months ago, I was sitting at home with my wife and my son, when
there was
a knock on the door. I looked at my wife, but I could tell she wasn't
expecting anyone.
I opened the door to a couple with a small child. The man looked at me and
asked
if my father's name was Jake Matthews. I told him it was He quickly grabbed
my hand
and said, 'I never got the chance to meet your father, but it is an honor to
 meet his son.'
He explained to me that his wife had worked in the
World Trade Center
 and had been caught inside after the attack. She was pregnant and had been
caught
under debris. He then explained that my father had been the one to find his
wife
and free her.
My eyes welled up with tears as I thought of my father giving his life for
people
like this. He then said, 'there is something else you need to know.' His
wife then
told me that as my father worked to free her, she talked to him and lead him
to Christ.
I began sobbing at the news. Now I know that when I get to heaven, my father
will
be standing beside Jesus to welcome me, and that this family would be able
to thank
him themselves. When their baby boy was born, they named him Jacob Matthew
in honor
of the man who gave his life so mother and baby could live."
This story should help us to realize two things:
 First - that though it has been three years since the attacks, we
 should never let it become a mere tragic memory.
And second - but most important - God is always in control. We may not see
the reason
behind things, and we may never know this side of heaven, but God is ALWAYS
in control.
Please take time to share this amazing story with those you love.You may
never know
the impact it may have on someone.
God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called.
Ephesians 2:13
But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away
 have been brought near through the blood of Christ.
John Silvis