AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dean Makuluni <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:18:39 -0800
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

Peter, Felix and all:

Events surrounding the ghost story suggest that the central issue is the
power struggle between President Bingu wa Mutharika and his predecessor,
Bakili Muluzi, who sought to influence the presidency through his position
as head of the UDF party, to which they both belonged. Although wa
Mutharika was elected to power as a member of the same party as Muluzi,
they have been bickering over wa Mutharika's drive against corruption
since the new president came to power. Three months ago, the president
canceled a party meeting at which the opposing camps were supposed to sort
out their differences on the pretext that some members of Muluzi's camp
were plotting to assassinate him. Yesterday wa Mutharika lambasted
journalists for the ghost story and for taking bribes from the former
president, Muluzi. Today the journalists who reported the ghost story were
arrested. The charge is that the journalists reported a false story. It is
not unusual in Malawi to deny their own statements. You may wish to know
that President wa Mutharika recently authorized the reopening of President
Banda's infamous detention camps. I guess it's time we got back to our
roots!

Dean Makuluni