From:
"Dr. Ron Hoggan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2006 08:13:25 -0700
Hi Camille,
Your midwife seems to be confusing ketosis with ketoacidosis. This is not
surprising because many people in the medical field use the terms
interchangably.

In diabetic ketoacidosis, a condition of high blood sugar is combined with
the elevated presence of ketone bodies, which can result in coma or even
death.

In mild ketosis, most of the body/brain energy requirements are being met by
fats that have either been previously stored or recently ingested. Glucagon,
a hormone produced by the pancreas, is increased during conditions of low
blood sugar. It causes the liver to break down triglycerides from stored
body fat. The resulting free fatty acids and glycerol provide energy to the
cells. As this is only a fraction of the sugar needed by the body, the
remainder must come from protein breakdown. So a low-carb diet must include
lots of protein. If not, the liver will produce sugar from muscle proteins.

It is also important to recognize that ketone bodies are acidic. The reason
your body is excreting them is to maintain its acid/base balance and to
excrete fats in excess of energy requirements. A mild state of ketosis is
quite a healthy condition _unless_ it is accompanied by elevated blood
sugar. It is only in the context of ketoacidosis, or when fatigue,
headaches, and nausea signal insufficient blood sugar, that corrective
measures should be taken.

I don't know of any research articles on the subject, but a good reference
is _The Ketogenic Diet_ by Lyle McDonald. ISBN: 0-9671456-0-0

Ron Hoggan, B.A., B.Ed., M.A., Ed. D.
co-author of Dangerous Grains ISBN: 1-58333-129-8
http://www.dangerousgrains.com