C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 02:03:01 +0000
Dear Meir,

It is very exciting to see the "brain plasticity research."  In another study, they took stroke victims and had them complete ADL in front of a mirror using their good side.  Over time, the brain read these images as coming from their "bad" side/arm and the stroke victims regained some use of their "bad" arms.

At my practice (I am a psychologist) we now have computer software that clients with ADHD can use to complete 5 low stimulation video games using biofeedback that measures brain waves.  Use of the software helps people to increase their attention, focus and to target decreased extraneous body movements.  My 8-year-old showed significant progress in two (!!) sessions.  The software is based on NASA and air force technology -- they used it to train fighter pilots and astronauts to remain calm and focused under high stress situations.  I work with a neuropsychologist and he suspects that the software actually improves the effective of the chemical pathways in the brain governing attention.  The research with this equipment (and similar equipment) shows long-term (i.e., years) benefit from 80 "sessions.  Some children have been able to go off their medication for ADHD and others are just much more focused or use lower doses.

One of our "competitors" (we refer regularly to them) has biofeedback equipment that allows him to help people with depression and other mental health problems retrain their brainwaves so that they can combat their symptoms at the source.

The brain research is fascinating and really exciting!!  I'm glad you brought it to our attention.

Heather Beaudry, mom to Will (8, ADHD plus?), Dylan (diplegic spastic CP and ?) and Brandon (formerly "autism spectrum") both age 4

From: Meir Weiss <[log in to unmask]>