BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that Ruth calls "Pluto's spider-hole."
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:34:12 -0700
Tom,  Thanks for your input.  I don't believe this building nor this area
of town have any "Historic" designation.  The downtown part of Putney is an
Historic District but this building is off the beaten path in an area known
as East Putney which was once a thriving community in and of itself but is
now very rural and sparcely populated.  The organization that owns the
building has been pretty much not functioning for 20 yrs or more.  There is
a Contra Dance group that uses it once a month.  They have managed to make
enough  money with their dances to keep the light bill, fuel bill and
insurance paid but that's about it.  Now that the building is beginning to
need some real money and the popularity of the dances is beginning to wane
so they are not making as much money they are feeling that they cannot
continue to support the building alone.  The Historical Society does not
own a building and has most of their holdings in storage at the Town Hall
in space that the Town Fathers are wanting to use for other purposes so the
merger does make sense, if we can do it correctly AND if we can get grant
funding for the needed repairs.

Sound like we should look at getting listed as an Historic Building.
Wonder how we would do that?

Building inspectors in this area leave alot to be desired.  We had one,
supposed to be the best around, look at a house we were buying and he
didn't do a darned thing I couldn't do myself.  Pretty much looked at it
and said, "Yup, it's still standing and the power seems to work."  He noted
a couple of silly little items that I could fix myself in half an hour that
he thought the sellers should fix and that was it--for mucho mullah!!!!!!
Ruth

--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT