AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:08:08 +0000
From:
"Peter R. Munoz" <[log in to unmask]>

Join African Association of Madison, Inc. for $25 per year

Mail check to: AAM, PO Box 1016, Madison, WI 53701
Phone: 608-258-0261 -- Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.AfricanAssociation.org

Salvador is right:  We should never support someone who rejects the rights
of our people.  I certainly do not.

Unfortunately Ray's campaign must have made a mistake when that statement
was made because it surely does not reflect Ray's opinion on undocumented
immigrant workers.  In fact, quite the opposite is true.  Ray has even gone
as far as making a commitment to help undocumented workers obtain
immigration status and assist them on their path to citizenship.  Ray also
fully supports the US Chamber of Commerce position on immigration as
follows:

http://www.uschamber.com/issues/index/immigration/uscc_immigration_policy_statement.htm

U.S. Chamber of Commerce Statement on Comprehensive Immigration Reform
There is no question that the U.S. immigration system is broken. There are
an estimated 10-12 million undocumented migrants in the United States, and
deporting them would be the equivalent of removing the population of the
state of Ohio—not a realistic option. As a country, we are facing an aging
population and a severe shortage of workers to fill essential jobs when U.S.
workers are not available.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce recognizes that our immigration system is
broken. To fix it, a comprehensive approach is needed because it is easier
to enforce laws that make sense and are workable.

The Chamber supports legislative action that:
Is comprehensive, addressing both future economic needs for workers and the
status of undocumented workers already in the United States.
Strengthens national security by providing for thorough screening of foreign
workers and creating strong disincentives for illegal immigration.
Strengthens the rule of law by establishing clear, sensible immigration laws
that are effectively enforced. We need a reliable, efficient, accurate and
workable employment eligibility confirmation system that is easy to use so
that businesses can decipher federal immigration laws without expensive
lawyers.
Creates an immigration system that functions efficiently for employers,
workers, and government agencies. We need a fast and dependable way to match
willing employers with willing employees, and visa limitations that
fluctuate according to market needs.
Ensures that U.S. workers are not displaced by foreign workers. U.S. workers
should have first shot at all job opportunities before they are opened up to
foreign workers.
Ensures that all workers enjoy the same labor law protections. Only by
bringing undocumented workers out of the shadows can we protect them from
unscrupulous employers who might exploit them, undermining the vast majority
of employers who pay a fair wage.
Taken together, these proposals can help fix our broken immigration system
and return business owners to doing what they do best: creating jobs. The
U.S. Chamber of Commerce recognizes that immigrants have played an important
role throughout our nation's history. Our economy will depend on immigrants
even more heavily in the near future, when huge numbers of aging baby
boomers begin to retire. By putting the right laws in place now, we can
clear up the problems created by illegal immigration and take a large step
toward alleviating worker shortages that will surely grow unless we act. We
need legislation that is fair, balanced, meets the needs of our growing
economy, and meets the test of common sense.

A bill passed by the House in December of 2005 (H.R. 4437) starkly
illustrates the wrong approach to immigration reform. This bill would
require all employers of all sizes from all parts of the country to verify
that every one of their current employees is eligible to work here even
though they have already been approved to work under the procedures required
under current law (this would apply to 140 million employees across the
United States!). Penalties for paperwork violations would rise to as much as
$25,000 per person. But the House bill ignores other important immigration
issues—such as what will happen to the millions of undocumented migrants
already here, or how our growing need for low-skilled workers will be met.

In the Senate, a bipartisan compromise immigration bill, the Comprehensive
Immigration Reform Act of 2006 (S. 2611) was passed in May 2006. The bill
constitutes a sound legislative blueprint which addresses both the security
and economic needs of the country. The bill is designed to improve security
and border enforcement, and it increases employer sanctions for knowingly
hiring illegal aliens and establishes an employment eligibility confirmation
system. The bill addresses the country's need for workers by creating a new
temporary worker program and implements a method to deal with the estimated
12 million undocumented immigrants working in the U.S. by providing avenues
for certain undocumented workers to achieve legal status and ultimately
lawful permanent residency, provided strict criteria are met.

The Senate bill also includes important provisions on other key immigration
issues. S. 2611 increases the cap on H-1B high-skilled visas, and also helps
reduce the employment-based green card backlog. The Senate bill also
provides relief for uses of seasonal H-2B visas, by extending an exemption
for repeat users until 2009. In addition, the Senate bill extends the
deadline on the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, and also provides
initiatives that will help implement it more effectively.

Though the Chamber considers this bill a major step toward providing a
workable solution to the issue of the nation's broken immigration system, it
does have concerns with certain provisions of the bill, and many changes
will need to be made before the bill becomes law. For example, the new
employment verification system and the prevailing wage requirements under
the temporary worker program need particular attention. The method for
addressing the undocumented may also be unnecessarily complicated and may
need refinement. These two very different bills will now have to be
negotiated into one bill, which will be a difficult endeavor, but the
Chamber will continue to push for a comprehensive, rational approach to
immigration reform.