Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 2006 12:57:22 EST

My husband is an acupuncturist and has studied Chinese herbs. Here is his
response to the question posed recently:

Does anyone know if these Chinese herbs are gf?

belamcanda - blackberry or leopard lily

craetaegus -Hawthorn  (probably berries)

epimedium - horny goat weed

lycium fruit -  Chinese wolfberry, a shrub

lycium bark - Chinese wolfberry

peony  red - the flower

saussurea Kuth - plant from India

zizy spinosa -  ziziphus, a sedative plant

homalomenae -  qian nian jian (pinyin name)

asparagus - name says it all

None of the herbs are from dangerous grains. Fresh they should be safe, and
dried from an herb shop would probably be OK. I am not aware of any reason
that  flour would be used in processing.

HOWEVER...if these herbs are ingredients in a patent medicine, that is
pre-made pills from China, be aware that they sometimes use starches or  possibly
even flours as binders or fillers in pills or capsules. What's more,  some of
these factories have been known to use unlisted ingredients.

If they are part of a patent formula, there are a few companies in the U.S.
that manufacture traditional formulas where it is probably easier to get
ingredient information, since they generally must comply with FDA  regs.

John S
NovaluxAcupuncture.com