From:
Sharon McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sharon McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 07:41:59 -0800

There is at least one more e-mail of pie crust suggestions to come. Once again,
Thanks to all of you!

***
DOUBLE CRUST APPLE PIE
1 ¼ cup Bob’s RedMill White Rice Flour
¾ cup of either Bob’s Red Mill Garbanzo & Fava Flour
or Bob’s Gluten free All purpose Baking Flour. (The
Garbanzo & Fava Flour works best, I used the All
Purpose Baking Flour this time and I think it is a
little too light and flakey)
2 tsp xanthan gum
1/3 cup cold water (add gradually to consistency, more
or less)
¾ cup Butter flavored Crisco Shortening
Directions: Peel and Slice about 6 apples, Combine 1
cup brown sugar with 2 tablespoons of Rice flour, 1
tablespoon of cinnamon, & 1 tsp xanthan gum in
saucepan, cook over low heat until apples are tender.
Set aside to cool
Pie Crust: Cut in flour and shortening until crumbly,
slowly add water. Divide dough into two equal size
balls. Roll out on surface dusted with Rice flour.
Fill and cover pie. Brush lightly with egg whites and
sprinkle entire pie crust with cinnamon and sugar.
Bake at 375 degrees aprox 35 min.
[...]
Roben Ryberg's cookbook: The Gluten Free Kitchen and
it is good, it is as follows:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup potato starch
3/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tsp xanthm gum
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup plus 1Tbsp milk.

combine all ingredients well to remove all lumps.
Roll out between two sheest of waxed paper or on a
cornstarch floured surface.  It can be hard to handle
but is good.
***
Made by Mona mixes
***
Susan’s Pie Crust

Start with her flour mixture -
2 c white rice flour 2 c potato starch
1 c tapioca starch

1 ¾ c flour mix ½ c margarine
½ c cornstarch ½ c Crisco
1 tsp xanthan gum 1 egg, lightly beaten
½ tsp salt 1 tbsp cider vinegar (not cider flavored
    The real cider vinegar)
Dash sugar (optional) 2 tbsp cold water

Blend together flour, cornstarch, xanthan gum, salt &
sugar. Cut in cold margarine and Crisco. Beat the egg
using a fork; add the vinegar and ice water. Stir into
flour mixture forming a ball. You may knead this a
bit, since GF crusts can stand the handling. Chill the
dough for an hour or more to make it easier to handle.
Divide dough into 2 or 3 pieces. Roll out between two
pieces of plastic wrap sprinkled with GF flour. Dampen
the countertop so plastic will stick rather than slide
around. As you roll, check to see that the crust is
not sticking to the plastic, add more flour if needed.

Remove the top layer of plastic wrap, place the pie
pan upside down on the crust, carefully place one hand
under the pie crust and one on the bottom of the pie
pan. With one graceful movement (and a wish and a
prayer) flip the crust into the pie pan. If it tears,
just patch with scraps. For a baked crust, prick with
fork and bake 10-12 min at 450.

***
Pie  Crust Recipe

1  1/4 cups  white rice flour
1  tsp salt
Mix together, then cut in to pea size: 2/3 c.
shortening, I use butter flavored Crisco. Then in a
measuring cup:  1/2 cup real cold water;  while
whisking, I shake in 1 Tbs POTATO FLOUR into the
water.  It should be fairly thick, like wallpaper
paste.Stir the Potato flour mixture into the
flour/shortening mixture.  Form a ball gently kneading
if need to.  Then I roll it out between 2 sheets of
floured waxed paper.  I usually flour the paper
several times because of sticking.  This crust is
easily breakable, but does not go back together like
the wheat flour ones.  There is enough crust for a top
and bottom crust.   When I got the recipe, it said you
could pat it into the pie plate, which I did, but it
stuck and was not very even.  I do prefer rolling it
out.  Bake as usual for your pie recipe.
***