From:
Thomas Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 07:50:42 -0500

I recently posted information received from Panera Bread about their gluten free products. Below are some cautionary replies received from list members.

I just wanted to add one thing about Panera Bread, as my son worked
there for over a year.  They have one very large, stainless steel bowl
for making their various salads.  There are charts in the back
explaining how each salad is made.  They will add 2 oz of this and 4 oz
of that, and so on, to this large bowl, then toss it all together and
transfer to the bowl you will eat from.  This large bowl is gluten
contaminated, as croutons are thrown in here.  One must ask for their
salad to be tossed in a clean bowl.

I have eaten at Panera Bread a few times, at various locations, with mixed
results. When you place your order, make sure you tell them "no bread,"
otherwise a piece of bread always ends up on top of your salad or
accompanying your soup. Also, it is wise to actually watch them make the
salad because the people who assemble the salads are often on auto-pilot,
and so often forget to leave off items such as the wonton strips. I have
found stray wonton strips lurking at the bottom of my salad a few times.
They have always been gracious about re-making my order, but one time I
watched them try 3 times in a row to get it right, and we were all getting
frustrated. But it's what we do to ensure safe dining out.

Important to have the cashier go back and tell the person
who will prepare your salad that you need a clean bowl, clean
tongs/tools, and clean food-handler gloves, and not to get
any bread, wontons, croutons, etc. in contact with your food.

Thank you to those who replied with helpful suggestions.
Nancy