Date:
Sun, 6 Nov 2005 15:40:47 -0600

Thank you for all of your answers - many requested a summary.  As you can see, most think that we have to be very careful when ordering hamburgers.  Only 2 replied that they think it has to be 100% ground beef.  If you are just reading your email about this and you do know that Mr. X of XYZ company wrote that all hamburgers sold in the U. S. must be 100% ground beef, please let me know.  In the meantime, I will start asking questions re: fillers, etc. in the future.  The comments follow:

"Some restaurants add ingredients to make them tastier or to make them go further"
"I tell them no lettuce and tomato too, because the food handlers who are making the regular burgers with buns handle the salad and can get crumbs in it."

"Many restaurants add bread crumbs to their hamburgers. Also watch out for the pancake batter in the omelettes." "Someone suggested Chili's and scanned their GF menu for me. Thanks!"

"I think hamburgers are 100% beef. The problem is that they aren't all cooked the same. One never knows what else was also cooked on that same grill."

"You need to ask if there are any flavorings or fillers."

"Those big hamburgers that brown so nice with the daisy petal scalloped edge have starched added to them of unknown origin, and flavor enhancers.If it looks, smells and tastes too good there is probably something wrong
with it. We were served these at a company picnic and at my daughter's college's snackbar yesterday".

"My father is a food broker and sells food to restaurants, schools, hospitals, nursing homes, etc. We contacted many of the manufacturers of the products that he sold and there was only one burger that was gluten free. As a result I never eat hamburgers when dining out. The simple fact is that restaurants can put whatever they want in the food
they serve."

"I do not know the answer to that. But I always order my food through the chef or kitchen manager. They would know the answer to your question for the particular restaurants".

"One of the local places near me sells 100% beef burgers that have "special seasoning." When I asked, they mix a bit of Lee & Perrins worchestershire sauce (g.f.) into their 100% ground beef.Anything is probably possible."

"I always ask about this, and when I get "that look", I go on to say some put egg, onion, bread crumbs, or seasonings in their burgers and that I am checking because I have allergies and I don't want to get sick. The question gets answered. Most of the time, the burgers are 100 percent beef, but I'm cautious of "special recipes"."

"Never discovered less than 100% ground beef in the US"

"have never had a problem ordering hamburger out".

Never discovered less than 100% ground beef in the US