VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 08:05:54 -700

Steve,
I basically aggree with your take.

the Telecommunications act of 199x or whenever sounded all grand
and accommodating, but there was the big copout, stuff had to be
made accessible "where technically feasible."

Its so easy to claim that accessibility isn't technically
feasible if it might cost them a buck.

Unfortunately I have had many contacts with manufacturers over
the years trying to get it across to them that building in
accessibility from the get go isn't hard or expensive.  I have
had very very few positive responses even when the experience of
our RERC is offered as free consultation.

About the only time it works is when you can get at someone high
up in a company who "gets it" and makes it happen.  Even getting
at the engineers is usually useless, they don't make the
financial decisions.

I can't say we've had no successes, companies like Viking
electronics with their accessible building door entry phone
system are the wonderfull exception that basically proves the
rule.

It gets in the way of their designers who think all that outside
stuff will limit their precious creativity.

And besides there is still no real incentive for most companies
to care.

I think only when there is a 1% inaccessibility tax on anything
with any visual display that isn't accessible will they start
caring. Oops, no they'll just pass it along to consumers with a
little note blaming the ungratefull blind.

and of course a new tax here and now is about as popular as an
arab American.

Perhaps someone who knows Dr. O'Day  can get at him and find out
just why this settlement isn't yet another empty promise.

Tom

Net-Tamer V 1.13 Beta - Registered