From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:55:45 -0500
From: "Jerome Deyle"
XP will probably have to be reactivated because of the hardware
> change, but that's no sweat. Just follow the prompts on boot.

When you change the HD, you loose one point toward Windows
Product Activation.  As long as nothing else was changed, WPA
should not complain... (You need 7 points out of 10 or 11 to remain
activated.)

Related Side comment:
Note that adding another HD will not loose that point as long as the
old HD remains in the system, even if it is no longer the boot drive.
(This goes the same for a retained old CD drive, or a NIC card...)
OTOH: If the old drive is TOTALLY erased (so that the volume
serial number (or id)  is lost, then you DO loose the point...

Lost NICs are worth 3 points, so they make re-activation "almost"
a certainty...  (As always, YMMV...)

FWIW: I only had to re-activate once in 2 1/2 years. I "deactivated"
the original installed NIC for testing, and got locked out till I re-activated...
(That also helped me to move up to SP1, which is less quick to lock you
out...)

                              Rick Glazier

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml