C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:49:22 -0700
Ken,

Whether the Iraqis are better off is a tough call; they may (or may not,
some would argue) have greater civil liberties, but their lives may be
in greater immediate danger than they were under Hussein.

On the opposite side of that coin, many would argue that we in the US
are safer, but have had our civil liberties eroded.  It was said in the
immediate post 9/11 period that the terrorists wanted to destroy the
American (read US) way of life, and they have made a start toward that,
IMHO.

As I read UN Resolution 1441, it doesn't explicitly give member states
of the UN permission to undertake unilateral military action against
Iraq.  That does seem to be permissible under UN resolutions 678 and
687, which were signed in 1990 and 1991, respectively.

My point is that the armed forces presently engaged as coalition
partners do not wear UN uniforms, and as such are not formally
recognized as UN forces.

Kendall

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950