C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:42:18 +0800
The effects of verbal abuse can often manifest as shyness, low self
esteem, hyper-politeness etc as well as behaviour at the other end of
the spectrum.  As just one example - I *was* a child who was subjected
to ongoing verbal abuse, it wasn't picked up by outsiders (or if it was,
no one did anything), because my survival technique was to become
preternaturally good and well behaved.  Also, as I said, there is a
great deal of denial when it comes to abuse and DV, even if people can
tell that something is going on there is still stigma about getting
involved, lack of appropriate support for the victims, amongst other
reasons that little is done.  Also, as Kat said - if the woman herself
doesn't/can't acknowledge that she is being abused it is hard to do
anything.

Rayna