C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Macaulay <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Macaulay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 11:25:44 -0500
As a doctoral student myself, who is a few years away from the dissertation,
I am finding this thread quite interesting.

In Greta's defense, she is using robust stats.  Yes, she may have a small
sample and that may limit the transferability of her conclusions to the
entire population od cpers out there, but her conclusions can be valid
nonetheless.

So far, it seems many students (and even the profs) are gungho on
qualitative research and case studies at Towson.  But yet we have read and
debated/discussed several articles about the dire need for more scientific,
quantitative studies in the field of education, as they are deemed more
"robust".  I, for one, tend to lean that way myself.  I like numbers and
hard facts that can be gleaned from quantitative measures.  But
realistically, I bet when I actually do my study, I will probably use mixed
methods so that I can have a smaller sample with qualitative data and then
run some aspect of my problem through quantitative measures as well to check
for validity.

I think that as long as Greta identifies and explains her sample population
thoroughly, she can draw conclusions from her data.  Yes, she may be
excluding the "gifted" cp folks in her study, but she is allowed to make
that decision.

Linda